Sunday, March 13, 2011

Weekend mornings are made for nesting

Just when I start to wonder where and how I can downsize my 'stuff' to create an easier to live in, easier to clean, more comfortable, less crowded castle out if my 400 square feet home, along comes a weekend morning without plans. The best kind of morning at home for me. I love nesting.

This week I'd glanced at a corner of my home and got the idea for a minor switch in furniture. I'd wondered how things would look with just a bit of rearranging. Today I implemented my idea and in the process reviewed my entire book collection, purged, dusted, rearranged furniture, and had a delightful hour letting go once again.

Wait, my curiosity got the better of me and I've just measured my floors. My home is actually 385 square feet. Not bad. I live by the 'less is more' philosophy, so I feel a sense of pleasure learning I have less square feet than I thought.

My curiosity and love of numbers/details/data also led me to count how many books I've decided to keep. 48. That includes 13 in my 'to read' collection, some of which I will pack for my trip to Scotland in May and leave along the trail, 27 books (fiction, travel, atlas, non-fiction, running...) that I've read and like enough to keep and 8 children's books from my childhood (Splish, Splash and Splush) and adulthood (Olivia Saves the Circus -- my adorable hero). That doesn't include the 11 books about organizing I've tucked away in my antique cabinet with other business things.

The first day of spring is only one week away. This is a great time to spring clean, purge, pitch, organize, de-clutter, downsize. I love the feeling afterwards, feeling a little lighter, more free, unencumbered, more relaxed, more in love with my home, happier to see the things I love (a 1950's brown leather suitcase, the globe from my Dad, my precious tractor won at Massey Ferguson day in 1964...)

With the tragic global events to remind me that stuff doesn't matter I feel like I've had the best morning, doing what I love, creating my castle, and being the me that I love to be.

So if you're thinking of spring cleaning your castle, I encourage you to think of Goodbye Clutter. We'll help you make room for what matters.

1 comment:

  1. Haha: beat you, sis. I've got over a thousand, and put most of them on the librarything.com cataloguing site.
    What!?!? You're going to Scotland? Jealous!!

    ReplyDelete