Sunday, March 6, 2011

I must be hungry...I'm thinking about restaurants

It's Sunday morning, I've had my pre-gym workout fuel, a yummy, healthy flax bread with banana, but perusing the WestEnders Best of Vancouver awards, I once again have food on my mind.

Recently I was delighted to read that two of my favourite culinary experiences have been recognized with awards: Deacon's Corner, for best Breakfast restaurant, and the Secret Garden Tea Company, for best Teahouse.

I met Kathy and Erin Wyder, two sisters who run the Secret Garden Tea Company a few years ago through their mother, Helen Burnham, an incredible woman in her own right who received the Order of British Columbia in 2000 for her work as founder of Avalon Women's Centres. Kathy and Erin wanted some help organizing the office where they ran their highly successful, very busy restaurant, the Secret Garden Tea Company, at 5559 West Boulevard.

These two motivated, focused, high energy women managed to run a bustling, popular tea house out of a very small office, 4'x8' at best. It was one of those organizing projects, like many, that are 'fun' and have the best work memories. They were a dream to work with, providing me with a fascinating look at the behind the scenes operations of a restaurant. Occasionally I even convinced Kathy that a few of their exquisite mini high tea sandwiches were clutter and of course they made their way promptly to my stomach. (Just trying to be helpful, as always.) Since then, I have enjoyed several delicious high tea sessions, yummy lunch soups, and tasty tea's at the Secret Garden Tea Company.

Deacon's Corner attracted my attention by it's name. It sounded vaguely familiar. On my first visit, I learned why. The owner hails from the Winnipeg area and just outside Winnipeg, on the TransCanada, if memory serves me correctly, there is an intersection named by locals as Deacon's Corner. With this connection to my home province, and then the incredible biscuits and gravy on the menu, this restaurant jumped to the front of my line for breakfast places to patronize. On all my visits, the place has been busy, with a clientele mix including police officers, actors, and generally zany creative looking folks. It's at the foot of Main Street, by Alexander, so I don't frequent it often but if you're ever wondering where you can take me for breakfast (I'm free next Saturday!) this is the place: Deacons Corner

Today's blog may not have much to do with organizing, but then again, next time you're asked to organize a breakfast or high tea, you'll be in the know of two popular Vancouver places to go. Plus, after your strenuous spring cleaning session that I know you have planned, you'll need fuel, try one of the above, or both.

Here's my slightly altered tagline for the day: Goodbye Clutter! We make room for what matters. And what matter's today is biscuits, gravy and high tea.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, sister. Can't make it Saturday, but wish I could. Like your blog.
    -the (much) less organized one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PTH,
    Maybe I could bring some biscuits and gravy to the Easter Gathering. Or we could go to the real Deacon's Corner for a coffee. Not sure what you can actually get there other than gas.
    G.C.H.F.

    ReplyDelete