Thursday, February 3, 2011

A New Year, a New Blog

I love the new year. It's like a blank page. With limitless possibilities.

2011 has begun. It's well underway.

So far, my favourite phrase of the year is 'more is less'. In the past, I've heard 'less is more', but the concept of more is less, seems different. For me it emphasizes the drain of excess, the cost and even futility of consumption. I see this with some of my clients. Rooms packed full of items, some not even out of their bags. Multiples of things. Three tv's, two old vcr's, five sets of daily salt and pepper shakers, .... so much stuff.

It's easy to see how less is more. More space, more time, more calm. Surfaces you can see, rooms you can walk through, libraries where you can find the book you are looking for, closets you can walk into, hey even garages where you can park two cars.

I think the trends are changing. People seem to be catching on. They are realizing that stuff doesn't make us happy, we make us happy.

On that note, I think I'll relax in my 400 square feet of home. Small but manageable. And definitely comfortable. Not more. But less. Which is actually more...

No comments:

Post a Comment